Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Deploying A Windows Mobile Application From Your Desktop (Vista/XP)

From my experience there seems to be very limited support for Windows Mobile Development. Sure, Visual Studios is great with its emulators, and essentially a lot of things you can do in Windows Forms, you can also do in a Windows Mobile Application, but one aspect I did not find a lot of support on was deploying CAB packets to an Active Sync'd device through an MSI package. After searching the internet for a while I came across a tool entitled, CABviaActiveSync which although did exactly what I wanted (install a CAB file from my desktop to my device), I still peronsally believe that having an MSI package is much more user friendly. It also would give me the oppurtunity to inject custom install options etc into my procedure (such as defining a Web Service IP address for my Mobile Device to Sync with).  Below is a tutorial on how to install your Windows Mobile application onto your Windows Mobile Device via your desktop.


No comments: